Amad Diallo adds feather to his cap but Antony is already making the right wing his own

Amad Diallo, a loanee from Manchester United, earned the Sunderland Supporters' Young Player of the Year award for 2022–23 following a standout stint with the Black Cats on loan at the Stadium of Light.

In quest of first-team action, Amad joined Sunderland last summer. Since then, the Ivorian has dominated England's second level.

The winger quickly rose to prominence under Tony Mowbray. Diallo has racked up 12 goals and three helpers in 35 league games for the Black Cats.

In what can only be characterized as a fantastic campaign for the prodigy, Amad also took home the Sky Bet Championship Player of the Month award for December.

Amad's victory in the Supporters' Young Player of the Year contest is noteworthy because it indicates that Sunderland's fans are aware of and grateful for all that he has done for them.

United congratulated the 21-year-old right away.

“Congratulations and well deserved Amad Diallo.”

“Our on-loan winger has won Sunderland’s Young Player of the Year award.”

As his stint with Sunderland comes to an end, Amad's focus will now turn to United and what his near-term prospects are.

According to reports, Erik ten Hag is eager to give the player a real chance to stake out a spot in his plans and the first team. Amad is more than capable of holding his own and having an effect, if his season with Sunderland is any indication.

The youngster recently discussed his goals and frankly stated that he wants to become a fixture at Old Trafford. He is close to accomplishing this.



Amad Diallo plans to break into Man United's first team

Amad moved to United from Atalanta in 2021 for an initial £19 million that could increase to £37 million. The forward made one of his nine first-team appearances in a 1-1 Europa League knockout match against AC Milan two months after moving to Manchester.

After a disappointing loan with Rangers, Amad returned to United and played prominently for Erik ten Hag throughout preseason until another loan agreement was reached. The Ivorian has thrived at Stadium of Light, winning over the crowd and impressing manager Mowbray to the point where he begged United not to call up the striker in January.

Amad revealed his goals after returning to United, but he still has one eye on the future. He told FourFourTwo: "I haven't played at my best for them [United] yet, but I hope I can come back next season and show my skill. My ultimate goal is to play regularly for Manchester United.

Amad started in United's final-day 2-1 victory over Wolves in May 2021, which was his last competitive senior appearance for the team. He recorded his first first-team assist against Leicester two weeks prior, a 2-1 loss.

With his thrilling season, Amad Diallo and United supporters appear to have renewed faith in his ability to flourish at Old Trafford and live up to the large £37 million price tag paid by the team when he was just 18 years old.

The young player, who named Anthony Elanga and Bruno Fernandes as his two best friends in Manchester, may look forward to meeting them when he rejoins the Red Devils after bidding farewell to his Sunderland teammates.

"Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani were [United players when I signed] and it was fantastic to meet them," he told FourFourTwo. "I have a good friendship with Pogba, and also with Bruno Fernandes and Anthony Elanga. They all made me feel welcome."

Fewer familiar faces will be there to welcome Diallo back into the fold before next season due to the exits of Pogba and Cavani, but the winger is unfazed by this and is still determined to prove his worth to the fans while wearing the illustrious red jersey. 

"I haven’t shown my best for them yet, but I hope next season I can return and prove my talent," he added. "My dream is to play regular football at Manchester United. I know [my transfer] was a lot of money, but I didn’t really think about that."

"There’s no reason to worry about things you can’t influence. I was so happy to sign for Manchester United: it’s a club with a massive history, famous all around the world.

"I remember my first training session after I joined: I was very nervous; there were some huge stars in the dressing room and I was looking around thinking, ‘Wow, I can’t believe I’m here’."

Amad has three assists to go along with his 12 goals for Sunderland. The season's end will mark the end of his loan period.

But Amad Diallo will have to deal with Antony Santos who has finally found some rythme under Erik Ten Hag, although he hasn't been so prolific in front of goal but has delivered goals in moments when they mattered the most.

Paul Scholes, a former player for Manchester United, believes Antony has the potential to play a significant role for the Red Devils.

In Sunday's FA Cup semifinal at Wembley against Brighton, the Brazilian was unable to score. But throughout the contest, which United ultimately won on penalties, Antony constantly posed the greatest threat for United's offense.

Speaking on BT Sport earlier this week, Scholes said of Antony: "It took some convincing from me, especially after the start of the season, but I think since that Everton game at home [on April 8] he has become a different player.

"I felt he became a bit predictable, always coming in on his left foot and he needed to add different dimensions to his game and I think in the Everton game he did that.

“He started to run in behind Ben Godfrey, he did it two or three times and was clean through on goal but didn't quite get the goal. He started to beat people on the outside and now his confidence is there and he's starting to look like the player we all expected."







Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post