Harry Maguire unhappy but has set trophy target with Manchester United as he gets Erik Ten Hag's praise

Harry Maguire acknowledges that it is normal to be frustrated by his little playing time for Manchester United this season, but he says that he is entirely focused on helping the team succeed in the remaining months of the year. In just his 13th start of the year, the 30-year-old was back in the starting lineup for United's victory over Everton over the weekend.

Maguire outperformed the opponents against a rather simple offensive strategy, extending his extraordinary streak of participation in 10 straight victories for United.

Although there is not much more that the England international can do than help his team win, his achievement is made all the more impressive by the fact that he has been primarily selected to play against weaker opponents.

After the victory over Everton, Maguire recognized that it had been difficult not to start the most of the games this season, but he also acknowledged the competition for spots at the team.


"Listen, I’m not going to stand here and say I love it, or that I like it. I don’t," he told reporters. "I want to play every game and I have done for the last eight years of my career. Also I have to respect the manager and his decisions and also respect how good the competition is at centre-back at this club. It is, and I believe that."

"Listen, when I get my chance I want to perform, I want to win and most importantly for the team have an influence on the game. Of course I want to play every game and I’m sure if you spoke to our centre-backs in their roles, they are all experienced and have played at the top level and will all be disappointed when sat on the bench. That is the same for me."

While the club captain acknowledges he wants to be playing frequent football, he wants to win another two titles before he makes any decisions about his future. It is believed that Maguire may be permitted to leave United in the summer if a suitable offer comes in for him.

Listen, we’ve got such a busy end to the season," he continued.

"My mentality is that I want to get another two trophies for the club. I enjoyed lifting the Carabao Cup and I want to lift another two."

"I will work as hard as I can in training and take every game as it comes as I’m sure I’m going to get numerous starts between now and the end of the season."

"It is not like I’ve not started. I’ve started the last two games before the international break against Fulham and Betis. It is not like I’ve been frozen out or not been involved. I’m still playing a lot of games but obviously as a footballer I want to play every game. But I’m sure every other centre-back in the dressing room does as well and the manager cannot play all four."

Manchester United manager Erik Ten Hag, as well detailed that the Manchester United's captain has changed in recent months.

Erik ten Hag, 53, claims that the Harry Maguire he is currently watching is not the same as the center back he first met this season.

Man United has won their past 10 games when Maguire has started, and he was recalled for the 2-0 Premier League victory over Everton. The 30-year-old might return to the bench for the first leg of the Europa League quarterfinal on Thursday against Sevilla, but Maguire has started three of United's previous five games.

Only his 13th club start of the season came in the victory against Everton, and he hasn't played for the first team since the 4-0 thrashing at Brentford on August 13. Ten Hag is pleased with how well Maguire has refined his game in light of that setback.

"It's not that easy for Harry and if you then deliver the performance he did today, really well done," Ten Hag beamed. "In and out of possession, dominating and dictating. That is my demand on him and he transferred that to the pitch."

"This is a different Harry Maguire to what I've seen in the first weeks and months. He's taking so much initiative, dominating his opponent, stepping in, bringing passes, so a really great performance from Harry."

The 30 year old could feature in Man United's Europa League first leg quarter finals clash with Sevilla on Thursday but will not travel with the team to Wembley during the weekend to play Brighton Albion in the Emirates FA Cup semi finals due to suspension.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post