Eredivisie Champions, Feyenoord wants Amad Diallo amid Sunderland's interest

If rumors out of the Netherlands are to be believed, Sunderland's ambitions of bringing Amad Diallo back to the Stadium of Light could be dealt a severe setback. Eredivisie Champions Feyenoord are reportedly interested in taking Amad Diallo on loan from Manchester United this summer, according to Dutch media outlet 1908.


After easily winning the championship, Arne Slot's team will compete in the Champions League the following year. De club aan de Maas was interested in signing the Ivorian in 2021, and they are poised to do so again this summer.

Erik Ten Hag will evaluate the promising youngster when Diallo returns to Manchester United for preseason before deciding on his next move. The 20-year-old has already received a warning from the Red Devils manager that he must earn the right to represent United, but a standout season in the Championship will have won over the former Ajax manager.

The Ivorian was a standout performer in the Championship last season and provided magical moments as Tony Mowbray's Sunderland team advanced to the play-off semifinals. After this season, Diallo has already shown interest in returning to the Stadium of Light, and he is expected to decide in the coming weeks whether to pursue a potential loan out of Old Trafford.

In 39 games for Sunderland, he notched 14 goals and three assists, and the club would kill to have him return to Wearside for another campaign. According to the source, Feyenoord has not yet made an official proposal for Diallo but could provide play in a competitive division and in the Champions League.

What was heard about Amad Diallo's return to Sunderland

Since joining Sunderland on a temporary basis in August of last year, the 20-year-old has distinguished himself as one of the club's top players, tallying 13 goals in 37 league games.

Sunderland defeated Preston 3-0 on Sunday, and Diallo scored again to enable the Black Cats advance to the Championship Playoffs where they will face Luton Town.

Diallo, who was acquired by United in a 2021 £37 million move from Atalanta, will have a chance to wow Erik ten Hag this summer, according to Sunderland manager Tony Mowbray.

Diallo, though, is not completely ruling out the possibility of returning to Sunderland for a second stint.

"Playing against Luton is very hard but I hope we’ll be in the Premier League next season and maybe I’ll come back, I don’t know,’ Diallo said after Sunderland’s win over Preston on the final day of the Championship on Sunday.

Luke O'Nien, a center back for Sunderland, lauded the contribution Diallo has made since joining the team last summer.

"I said it the other day to someone, the day he came in the standards he’s raised just in terms of what he does on the ball is incredible," O’Nien told Sky Sports.

"Thank you, man. You’ve still got a job to do but he’s been incredible. We love him and I know the fans love him as well."

This latest development, contradicts, the Ivorian's statement a couple of months ago where he underlined his desire to come back to Old Trafford and fight for his place.

Amad revealed his goals after returning to United, but he still has one eye on the future. He told FourFourTwo: "I haven't played at my best for them [United] yet, but I hope I can come back next season and show my skill. My ultimate goal is to play regularly for Manchester United."

The young player, who named Anthony Elanga and Bruno Fernandes as his two best friends in Manchester, may look forward to meeting them when he rejoins the Red Devils after bidding farewell to his Sunderland teammates.

"Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani were [United players when I signed] and it was fantastic to meet them," he told FourFourTwo. "I have a good friendship with Pogba, and also with Bruno Fernandes and Anthony Elanga. They all made me feel welcome."

"I haven’t shown my best for them yet, but I hope next season I can return and prove my talent," he added. "My dream is to play regular football at Manchester United. I know [my transfer] was a lot of money, but I didn’t really think about that."

"There’s no reason to worry about things you can’t influence. I was so happy to sign for Manchester United: it’s a club with a massive history, famous all around the world.

"I remember my first training session after I joined: I was very nervous; there were some huge stars in the dressing room and I was looking around thinking, ‘Wow, I can’t believe I’m here’."





Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post